So you’ve booked your vacation with us and now you’re wondering what to do…well look no further because our friends at Explore Townsend have you covered!
Check out some of our favorite things to do, top attractions, and places to eat in “the Peaceful Side of the Smokies”:
Top Things to Do in Townsend, TN
- Cades Cove is a hiking destination with trails fit for every kind of adventurer. Whether you’re looking for a one-mile or 70-mile hike, you will surely find a trail perfect for you.
- In the nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park, you can fish 365 days per year, and there are plenty of great spots where you can catch some true gems. The Little River runs through Townsend (and Little Arrow), in this river you’ll find an assortment of trout -rainbow, brown, and brook – as well as bass and other fish.
- Over the years the local community leaders have intentionally widened sidewalks in many areas of our town to encourage cycling and walking, and to ensure these fun activities are safe. Traveling by bicycle is one of the best ways to explore our area, whether you’re riding the Cades Cove loop or just getting around town.
- Scenic Drives
- Townsend is one of the best places to experience the beauty of the southeastern United States. One of the best ways to do that is by taking a drive. There are so many scenic drives in Townsend that it would be difficult to see them all in one trip. There’s also something beautiful to see no matter what time of year you visit – there are wildflowers in the spring and summer, colorful leaves in the fall, and magical snow scenes in the winter
- Horseback Riding
- Townsend is the perfect place to enjoy some horseback riding, and there are many local stables where you can take guided horseback tours – click on the link for local riding stables.
Top Attractions in Townsend, TN
- Heritage Center
- Celebrate the cultural heritage of East Tennessee and the Great Smoky Mountains region. The Heritage Center’s gallery exhibits, educational programs, demonstrations and festivals guide you on a historic journey through time to visit the diverse cultures of Townsend and Tuckaleechee Cove.
- Clingman’s Dome
- The highest point in the Smoky Mountains and along the entire Appalachian Trail! Obviously that means you get show-stopping views, and if you are eager to hike, you can carry on to Andrews Bald for even more stunning scenery.
- MTN Trax
- MTN Trax rents street legal UTVs and offers guided off-road tours in Townsend, Tennessee.
- Little River Railroad and Lumber Museum
- The Little River Railroad and Lumber Company is a nonprofit corporation founded in 1982 to preserve the heritage of the the Little River Lumber Company and the Little River Railroad. They operate a museum in Townsend, Tennessee, collecting, preserving and exhibiting the history of these companies, and of the people in this region.
- R&R Fly Fishing
- Fly fishing service where they guide anglers on East Tennessee’s tailwaters, rivers and lakes, where bigger trout and smallmouth bass are often found. Their specialty is catching trout on a fly, and they welcome anglers of all skill levels.
- Dancing Bear Lodge & Appalachian Bistro
- This farm-to-table restaurant brings you regionally inspired dishes served among elegant surroundings and calming wooded vistas. Whether enjoying a romantic dinner for two or bringing the extended family together for a celebratory meal, your journey into artful, authentic cuisine has just begun!
- Apple Valley Cafe
- The Apple Valley Café is a popular Townsend spot to grab a bite of breakfast, lunch or just a snack.
- Burger Master
- Burgermaster…a Townsend tradition has the best burger in Blount County.
- Misty Morning
- Come on in for some real home cooked food! They offer daily specials and is great for take out picnics.
- Smokin’ Joe’s BBQ
- Great food and great people! A casual, homey destination for American BBQ classics like ribs, pulled pork & brisket sandwiches.